Thursday, April 16, 2009

A political post

So, I've been hearing a lot about the Constitution a lot lately. Mostly due to the tea party protests yesterday, and my university having a "First Amendment Day" today.

Regarding the first, Jeremy said it better than I ever could. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people attending these things wouldn't give a shit about Obama's policies if they were being enacted by a Republican. The mainstream conservatives are just pissed that they're out of power right now. The people on the Right who condemned the Ron Paul types during the election are now cuddling up to them. Oh, the irony.

And of course, I've had to hear for the past week about how freedom of speech comes from the First Amendment. Nonsense. Rights do not come from an old piece of paper. The constitution is utterly meaningless as Lysander Spooner showed. Plus it's pretty clear that the government doesn't give half a damn about the Constitution. It practically started violating it at day one. As soon as the Constitution gets up and starts beating up Obama and the assholes in the Congress, I'll start buying that it protects my rights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.